Tuesday 22 January 2013

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

Well of course that's not true, but I've spent most of the day listening to film soundtracks, including The Artist.

We've finally been hit by the snow here, and it is so beautiful. I went out with my lovely camera and took plenty of pictures of it. My Canon makes everything look even better. I took an awful lot, mainly because I couldn't resist, but here's a select few of my favourites.







 I love these two, possibly my absolute favourites. The lampost is perfectly placed, I was quite lucky.


It was a beautiful few days, and now it's beginning to dissipate a bit. Which isn't so bad. I love the snow, I think there's something truly magical about it. But I don't like it when it disrupts me too much. A few days is lovely, but then life needs to go back to normal, at least that's how it is here. I can't imagine what it must be like to have snow the majority of the year, I'm not sure it would feel so magical.

In other news, I've been getting myself super organised! I have so many wall charts to keep track of and updated, but at least it's an easy way to see what I'm supposed to be doing, where I'm supposed to be doing it, when I'm supposed to be there, and how much it's going to cost me. I'm cracking down hard on my finances. If I do this properly then I will definitely have enough to move into a new flat in HW in August.

I think that whatever happens I'm probably just going to move there anyway, whether I get on to my MA course straightaway or not. I can't stay in Cambridge, and if I move home then I'll lose my job which will mean losing my transfer which will mean a much harder struggle to find a job to support myself whilst I'm living elsewhere. And moving back home feels like a big step backwards. I know it's not, but being where I want to be means opportunities and possibilities and prospects and being a real adult. I'm now beginning to feel like being a student is really just practise for the real world. We had these grand notions of moving out and being all grown up on acceptance to university, but really we're surrounded by so many safety nets and back ups. It's like we're having a go at real life, but once we graduate there won't be an Accommodation Office to seek help from, or Student Loans to rely on, or Student Services to tell us what to do when we're stuck.

And honestly, I find it all very exciting.

I'm trying to be a lot more disciplined with my film work. Because I'm really really not. At all. So I need to buck up and get my act together and be the student that NFTS will want, because I will not be going anywhere else.

I need to finish off this last bit of work experience work, and then I can get my timetable sorted out and really start to structure my days with uni work, dissertation work, film work, society work, masters application, and having a life (Although not necessarily in that order). I'm determined not to become a complete hermit whose only friends are my laptop, desk, library and iCentre. I'm still at uni, I'm still going to be student with all the social aspects as well as getting a kick ass grade! I'm sure of it! (Ask me again in a couple of months and we'll see...)

If you've read my recent posts I'm sure you would see my sheer panic in anticipation of this year. Well, it's now settled down into organised Hatti and I'm feeling inspired and ready to go. I'm still making big changes and little changes which is probably helping tremendously. I've had my hair cut for the first time in a couple of years and I've rearranged my room, amongst other things. Whilst it may seem like procrastination, I'm feeling much more focussed and on target, which is lovely. And I'm looking forward to no snow, because I can start running again which will help.

I think I should be very grateful to my boyfriend who has given me a gentle shove in the right direction, which is probably what's inspired all this focus and motivation. He's really quite marvellous. He took me to see The 39 Steps last night, and it was fantastic, an excellent piece of theatre.


So now I'm off to go and do productive things. Or nap. One of the two I think.


No comments: